BRC Issue 8

Gap Assessment 

Internal Auditing



Product Development


Process development

Scale up

FSVP Agent

If there is no U.S. owner or consignee of a food product at the time of U.S. entry, the article must have an FSVP Agent. FIC may serve as your FSVP Agent. 

FSVP Consulting

For U.S. Importers of Food

Importers in the U.S. are responsible for developing FSVPs to verify the food they import is manufactured using methods compliant with US food safety standards. We can develop, review, or implement FSVPs for FDA compliance.

U.S. FDA Food Canning Establishment (FCE) Registration & Process Filings (SID)

(Low Acid, Acidified foods)

Companies that produce certain Acidified and Low-Acid Canned Food (LACF) packaged in hermetically sealed containers are required to obtain a Food Canning Establishment (FCE) registration. A facility’s FCE registration must be linked to its FFR, and the data in the two registrations must match. LACF and acidified food facilities must also submit unique filings for each process used during production. Each of these “Process Filings” is assigned a unique Submission Identifier (SID) number.

Label Review/Label Design (Nutrition Facts)

As part of label review, we will evaluate and update Nutrition Facts, negative claims and health claims to meet all requirements. With FIC ensure regulatory compliance by verifying your food safety labeling instructions meet the FDA and CFIA regulations for your particular product (I.e., expiry, best-before, intended use, storage conditions).

FDA Import Alert Petition

The Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (“FFDCA”) provides FDA the authority to automatically detain imported products due to any previous violations. Such products may be placed on a “Red List” of an Import Alert. FDA may detain red-listed products without physical exam at the port of entry.  For example, if FDA tests an imported food product and finds Salmonella, FDA may detain all future shipments of that product without needing to test the product.

Food Facility Registrations and USDA Permits

Facilities that manufacture, process, or package foods intended for consumption in the United States are required to register in the FDA Food Facility Registration (FFR) system. 

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) requires a USDA-issued permit to import products containing plant or animal ingredients that may pose a threat of spreading diseases.  USDA issues and uses permits to verify the safety of imported products at the port of entry. Any importer looking to bring a USDA-regulated product to the United States will need to determine if a USDA permit will be required.


Stay updated

Copyright © Food Industry Consulting | All Rights Reserved